This year I was given a book to read by a class grandparent after a quick chat. It was What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey. This book has inspired me to write a series of posts on what I know for sure about schools and teaching!
As I morph into one of those older (experienced sounds better) teachers… and I’m not even sure how that happened, I can reflect on many years and share a few things I know for sure…
1. Everything is about the students. Schools exist for kids, not for the people who work in them. If a decision is being made that isn’t about improving teaching and learning, then its using time that should be about the students!
2. Teachers must to be team players. Difficult with a career structure that is ultimately competitive! And it is!
3. Some of our best teachers are never recognized! I recognize them…
4. We’re all learners… if you think you know it all, maybe I would suggest a new career.
5. Not all leaders should be leaders… challenge me on that statement!
6. It’s important to encourage others and a few words is often enough. I hope I do!
7. Every student deserves the highest quality teaching and learning program we can offer.
8. Don’t ‘dumb down’ learning for anyone and that includes teachers. If you ‘dumb down’ learning for teachers, you ‘dumb down’ programs for students! One day I’ll explain this…
9. Value each student, recognize the potential in all students and promote each student. Look for and find the best in all!
10. What does each student wish you knew about them. Find out!
This week I’ll be looking for my next 10 things I know for sure…